Monday, January 12, 2009

A really special day

My uncle and I as amcee
This, my first blog post, is going to be about a special day to me and my whole family. I would never forget this day, and neither will my parents.

It was on the 22nd of November, a long awaited day. It was my parents' 15th anniversary! It was a really big event as family and friends gathered at Changi Village Hotel. Everyone was early, just as planned, and the event started on the dot. This might be an ordinary wedding or anniversary for you, but not for me. I was the amcee together with my uncle!

That was the first time I hosted in front of nearly 200 people, in which i was on the stage and I was in the "spotlight". I was extremely nervous, and kept practicing my lines during the reception. Going up on stage was a challange in itself, but I had an added challange. Speaking in Mandarin!

And so, it started. When everybody knew that I was the amcee, they cheered for me at almost every sentence I said, making me feel as if I was a star. My mother's side could not understand English at all, so when I spoke mandarin, they were very shocked and cheered even louder! At that point, I knew that the many months practicing for this very moment was all worth it.

The walk-in (my brother and I were in it too) and dinner followed after that, and the main event of that night soon arrived. On my parents' wedding 15 years ago, because they were so confident that they would be forever together, they created something they called the "time capsule box" in which they put everything they gave each other during their courtship days into the box. They promised everyone that they would open it 15 years later. And so, they kept their promise.

They opened it up and my mother showed an extremely long and complicated poem which my father wrote for her. It was beyond comprehension! My mother on the other hand wrote a short and simple poem, which went straight to the point. It was actually also very humourous but its contents would not be said here to avoid embarrassment (unless on special request).

On the overall, I enjoyed myself thoroughly on that day, and had a sense of achievement as I am proud to be the amcee, and personally think that I did quite a good job that day.
My parents opening up the "time capcule box"
My brother and I walking-in

My parents walking-in

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home